Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Socrates Sculpture Park

A couple of weekend ago, I helped Brett work on a sculpture at the Socrates Sculpture Park in Long Island City. I like to think that my standing around and looking pretty was enough, but Brett kept putting tools in my hands.


A quick background: Brett's co-worker Scott received an emerging artist fellowship from the Socrates Sculpture Park. He wanted to work with wood palettes, the type that many products are shipped on. Unfortunately, Scott was in a terrible car accident. He was riding his bike and was hit by a car en route to work. Brett and his co-workers stepped in and helped bring Scott's vision to life.

On Sunday, we attended the opening for the show, and despite the rain, it was beautiful. The sculpture is a bar with chairs and a table. The front is covered in window frames:


Inside, Brett and Jeph hang out at the bar:


I know from my first attempt to bike to work, where I took a right nasty fall on the Manhattan bridge, that the biking community is really there for other bikers. It was really nice to hear Brett talk about the commitment his work family, and the rest of Scott's friends showed when he needed some help.

The sculpture is really beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment