Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Frederick Law Olmsted


Last week, Robert and I saw the premiere of a documentary on Frederick Law Olmsted. He and his partner designed Central Park and Prospect Park. This premiere was in Prospect Park, which is one of my favorite places in all of New York City. Olmsted considered Prospect Park to be his masterpiece, and I have to say I agree completely! It is a perfect calm in the midst of the insanity of the city. I didn't know that Olmsted was really an original mitigation planner, as he incorporated the needs of the environment into his designs. He would often take into account the rising water during tides or heavy rains, and the need for land mitigation. He designed over a 100 parks around the world, and that means that many of the great cities on this planet have a park that helps negate some of the natural disasters. Thanks Mr. Olmsted!

No comments:

Post a Comment